It is natural to be sad and moody from time to time. But, when does a normal and temporary emotion turn into a mental illness which doesn’t seem to go away?
Depression is something permanent
When we are sad, there is usually a concrete trigger for it. Although it is not nice to feel that way, the sensation is quite normal. Besides, temporary sadness for a reason will be gone.
The situation is different in the case of depression. Those affected are virtually trapped in a phase of sadness and listlessness. The condition, which is actually temporary, becomes something permanent. A concrete trigger cannot always be named.
Often, everything looks completely normal from the outside. But the fact is that those affected are not doing well. Mental illness affects all areas of a person’s life. Not only is sadness a well-known feeling to depressed people, but irritability as well.
People who suffer from depression are much more irritable, have less control and become angry faster. The following information can help you understand if you are suffering from depression or if someone in your surroundings is struggling with depression.
If you’re asking yourself whether you’re depressed, here is a list of most common symptoms. If you have at least five of them, you may be suffering from depression.
1. You've lost joy for many things. This also applies to hobbies that used to be very dear to you.
2. Your appetite and your weight have changed dramatically.
3. You either feel noticeably slower than usual or you are restless all day.
4. You have problems falling asleep or sleeping much more than usual.
5. You are constantly irritable, moody and nervous.
6. You feel worthless or and guilty.
7. You feel tired and listless.
8. You suddenly have trouble concentrating, thinking clearly and cannot decide well. It's also hard for you to think creatively.
9. You are thinking about death and/ or suicide.
Who can help you?
If you or somebody in your surroundings have experienced at least five of these symptoms/signs over a period of at least two weeks, it is strongly advised that you seek the advice of an expert. Although self-diagnosis can be a first step, it is always necessary that a specialist assesses the situation. Only after a professional assessment is it possible to determine which type of treatment comes into question.
We also offer psychological and life coaching consultation services online.
If you want to schedule your session, click the button below.
YOU CAN ALSO SUPPORT OUR WORK THROUGH PAYPAL